Hello! I’m Matt Pietrek. Glad you clicked on the link to learn more about me.
The Cocktail Wonk blog is where I share my passion about all things drinking related, be they spirits, cocktails, bars, mixology, tiki, and spirited history. I share my thoughts and experiences extensively on social media and have a significant following on Instagram.
Some highlights of my spirited journey outside of the blog:
- Rum reviews for the Webby Award winning Distiller as a member of their tasting table
- Guest judge at Miami Run Renaissance 2016
- An industry influencer on the 2016 Authentic Caribbean Rum tour of Jamaican rum distilleries
- Credentialed media at Tales of the Cocktail 2015 and 2016
- Media guest at Bacardi Legacy Global Finals 2016
- Featured in Punch’s Home Bartending Goes Hardcore
- Featured in Chilled’s 7 Instagram Accounts to Make You Thirsty
- Toured every major American bourbon distillery in Kentucky
- Visited twelve Scotch whisky distilleries in Islay and Speyside
I’ve previously authored a number of books and articles on Microsoft Windows, reverse engineering, and software development, and been recognized internationally as one of the world’s foremost experts on the topic.
I now use my ability to to immerse myself in the world of spirits, cocktails, and bars. Much as I did when writing about Windows, I immerse myself in a topic, demystify it and then teach what I’ve learned in a straightforward manner.
An integral part of the Cocktail Wonk experience is Mrs. Wonk (aka, Carrie in her civilian life), who provides storytelling wisdom, extreme copy-editing and much of the funny. She’s actually a much more entertaining writer, but I’m the one with the free time.
I can be reached at cocktailwonk @ gmail.com
Want more backstory? Read my first post.