Hello! I’m Matt Pietrek. Thanks for your curiosity about my site!
Cocktail Wonk is where I share my passion for all things drinking related, be they cocktails, bars, mixology, tiki, spirits, and spirited history. I share my thoughts and experiences extensively on social media and have a surprisingly robust following on Instagram.
Some highlights of my spirited journey:
- Tales of the Cocktail 2018 Spirited Awards finalist for Best Cocktail and Spirits Writer, alongside writers from the New York Times, Washington Post and The Daily Beast.
- Saveur Magazine 2018 Best Drinks Blog finalist (announcement forthcoming!)
- One of Imbibe Magazine’s Imbibe 75 list of people to watch in 2018.
- Tales of the Cocktail 2017 Spirited Award “Top Ten” finalist in the Best Cocktail and Spirits Publication category.
- PUNCH (punchdrink.com) contributor.
- Bourbon+ (bourbonplus.com) contributor.
- Rum Master and columnist at Bevvy.co.
- Panelist at Tales of the Cocktail 2018.
- Author and Rum Reviewer for the Webby Award winning Distiller as a member of their tasting table
- Authentic Caribbean Rum tour of Jamaican rum distilleries alongside Martin Cate, Camper English, and Wayne Curtis
- Credentialed media at Tales of the Cocktail 2015 – 2018.
- Media guest at Bacardi Legacy Global Finals 2016
- Press trips to Cuba, Martinique, & Guadeloupe
- Dubbed “America’s foremost rum blogger” by noted author Fred Minnick in his book, Rum Curious
- Selected by Fred Minnick as a primary fact checker for his Rum Curious book.
- Guest judge at Miami Run Renaissance 2016
- Featured in Punch’s Home Bartending Goes Hardcore
- Featured in Chilled’s 7 Instagram Accounts to Make You Thirsty
- Toured every major American bourbon distillery in Kentucky
- Visited twelve Scotch whisky distilleries in Islay and Speyside
- In-depth sherry immersion trip in Jerez, Spain
- The first author to visit and write about E&A Scheer, the global rum powerhouse.
I’ve previously authored a number of books and articles on Microsoft Windows, reverse engineering, and software development, and been recognized internationally as one of the world’s foremost experts on the topic.
I now use my ability to immerse myself in the world of spirits, cocktails, and bars. Much as I did when writing about Windows, I immerse myself in a topic, demystify it and then teach what I’ve learned in a straightforward manner.
An integral part of the Cocktail Wonk experience is Mrs. Wonk (aka, Carrie in her civilian life), who provides storytelling wisdom, extreme copy-editing and much of the funny. She’s actually a much more entertaining writer, but I’m the one with the free time.
I can be reached at cocktailwonk @ gmail.com
Want more backstory? Read my first post.